26 March 2012

21th Century Horror

Horror is one of those genres that I enjoy watching mainly because I know what to expect, like when watching a tv-series. Watching movies like 2001: A Space odyssey is great, but I wouldn't do it every day. Watching a horror movie is much easier even if it isn't better.


It's not often a horror movie exceeds my expectations, but sometimes it happens.
Five things that impresses me in a horror movie:
1. I seldom get really scared, so I'm impressed if I do.
2. If it's not too clichéd. You gotta expect some cheesy scenes though.
3. A twist that I couldn't see coming.
4. If the characters doesn't even once say "hello" in a suspicious situation.
5. If they kill that motherf*cker when they have the chance.


Top 5 Horror films of the 21th century

I have not included comedy or musical horrors, I'll do a list of those separately later.

1. Sunshine (Danny Boyle, 2007)
A mission to save the sun doesn't go as planned when they discover the ship of a previous mission that failed years ago.
Maybe not a traditional horror film and surely didn't expect one, but I was occasionally scared watching this.

2. The Others (Alejandro Amenábar, 2001)
A woman is confident that the house she and her children lives in is haunted. 
It's a few years since I saw this, I should watch it again soon to see if it really were that good. Otherwise I remember it being a great mystery horror

3. Villmark (Pål Øie, 2003)
The members of a TV-crew is preparing for a new tv-show by living primitively in a cabin for a weekend. 
This is the best "cabin in the woods" themed horror I have ever seen. The danger is constantly present without revealing too much.

4. Triangle (Christopher Smith, 2009)
Friends on a yachting trip has to go aboard a bigger ship when mysterious weather conditions occur. The ship itself holds an even bigger mystery.
A great mystery horror that really impressed me when watching it.

5. Trolljegeren (André Øvredal, 2010)
Students investigates a series of mysterious bear killings. They start following a hunter and witnesses the real reason behind the killings.
The only movie I liked in the "cam horror" genre so far. Great movie with good special effects.

Other strong candidates:
El orfanatoOrphanÔdishon, The MistThe RingSawEden LakeEl espinazo del diabloBakjwi28 Days Later...Dawn of the Dead (2004), and more

My Top 10 horror films list on IMDb






8 comments:

  1. Keep meaning to see Triangle, looks really interesting. I wholeheartedly recommend Nuit Noire (2005). It's my favourite film of the 21st century so far, joint with Guy Maddin's Brand Upon the Brain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you should watch it. I had no expectations though, which may have made it easier to like. :)
    I've heard of Brand Upon the Brain, will watch that sometime, and I have to check out the other one you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also seldom get scared watching horror films, especially new ones. I've only seen Sunshine, The Others and Triangle from your top 5. The Others didn't really do it for me. I enjoyed "the original", The Innocents (1961), more. Sunshine was good, more of a sci-fi than true horror film imho though, but still good. Triangle I thought was pretty nice, not great, but ok. I liked the time travel part in it.

    Speaking of time travel, I'd like to recommend Timecrimes (Los cronocrimenes) if you haven't seen it. Not really a horror, but a very good thriller with time travel.

    Some of the best horror films from the 21st century: The Ring, The Descent and [Rec]

    I like the old school horror films though. And I also cheer for the bad guy most of the time, haha. But it all depends on what type of horror film it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks for the comment, it's great to hear others opinions. I have not seen The Innocents but have thought about watching it for a while. Same goes with Timecrimes, I think I'll watch that one next week, since I like time travel a lot. You should really check out the two norwegian films that's in this list!

      The Ring and The Descent would maybe have made it to my top 10 list, but I don't remember liking [Rec] that much. It's true, the innocent ones are often too stupid to sympathize with :D

      Delete
  4. i hav seen 2 of them OTHERS n TRIANGLE , and both the movies blew my mind....... just awesome movies.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you should try watching the other three too, maybe you'll like them as much :)

      Delete
  5. A small suggestion:

    2008 Let the Right One In (Låt den rätte komma in) by Tomas Alfredson.

    Or is it strictly speaking a horror movie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen Låt den rätte komma in and I like it. I'm not sure why I didn't include it in this list, maybe I was aiming more for straight forward scary movies.

      Delete