24 May 2012

Jim Jarmusch

Jim Jarmusch

Top 5 Films Directed by Jim Jarmusch


Jim Jarmusch is one of the more well-known and appreciated indie directors working today. He has made 10 full-length movies since his debut Permanent Vacation 1980 and I've seen all of them.
His latest film The Limits of Control came out 2009 and his next film, Only Lovers Left Alive, may be released 2013. The upcoming film has been described as an unusual love story between two vampires who have been in love for centuries.
For me there are two kinds of Jarmusch movies - Most of them are great movies with very real, dry humor and strong dialogue, but a few of his movies are quite boring and don't manage to keep my full attention.

1. Down by Law (1986)

Great film, a more realistic comedy is hard to find. Feels like the three main characters could be my buddies in real life, if you see what I mean.

2. Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai (1999)

Great soundtrack, great acting, great story and great direction. It was fun to watch and a really unique film I will always remember and surely rewatch.

3. Dead Man (1995)

William Blake goes from being a boring accountant to one of the coolest western characters ever written in this unique black and white western. One of Johnny Depp's best roles, I wish he'd go back to playing these kinds of roles soon.

4. Night On Earth (1991)

A film consisting of five short films about five taxi drivers in five different cities. I liked three of them a lot (New York, Helsinki, L.A) but two of them could have been better (Paris, Rome). Sadly, the two I didn't like came right after each other which made me loose a bit of interest, but the last and best segment, Helsinki, finished the movie brilliantly.

5. Broken Flowers (2005)

It's a few years since I saw this film, before I became as interested in movies as I am today. I liked it then and I guess that's a proof of this one being Jarmusch's most mainstream movie and one I would maybe recommend people to start with. Good performance by Bill Murray and overall a good film.

2 comments:

  1. Hej du!!
    Vilken fin blogg!! Jag märkte först nu att jag hade "genväg" till den :)
    Pappa och jag har sett på Dear John ikväll....min typ av film som du förstår :-D
    Kram från Iskmo-soffan, mor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hej hej, ja de va jag som fixa ett bokmärke åt dig i smyg :] Jag kan tänk mig he, kanske du till och med släppt en tår eller två? :))

      Delete