14 May 2012

Top 5 Opening Scenes

What's so great with a good opening scene is that it might quickly draw you into the movie, make you interested and tell you how the movie is going to be. I like an opening scene extra much if it gives me a certain feeling that makes me wanna rewatch it later. Also, great use of music is something I like very much.

Nr. 5 O Brother, Where Art Thou?




The cinematography, the song sang by the chain-gang prisoners followed by the escape of the three prisoners got me hooked to this movie right from the start. I know there are many objectively better opening scenes, but this is too much of a personal favorite to leave out of this list.

The story behind the song sang by the chain-gang is very interesting. You can read about it HERE

Nr. 4 2001: A Space Odyssey





One of the most unique opening sequences to a movie is the one seen in 2001: A Space Odyssey. The use of music in this opening scene as well as in the rest of the movie is too good to be true, which seems to be the case in many of Kubrick's movies.

Nr. 3 Melancholia 





Upon watching this the first time, the opening sequence might put you off, thinking that the whole movie could be like this, but after watching the whole movie, it might be that you want to return to watch the beginning again. Visually beautiful, confusingly strange and made even better with beautiful classical music. It also gives you a feeling that continues throughout the whole movie.

Nr. 2 A Clockwork Orange



A love the music, the red and blue background color followed by Alex looking into the camera drinking milk, the set construction, costumes and Alex's presentation of himself and his droogs. Perfect opening scene that couldn't be better.

Nr. 1 Once Upon a Time In the West




My favorite opening scene from my favorite film. This YouTube clip doesn't view the complete opening sequence, it starts at about 5 minutes into the movie. I count the first 14 minutes as the opening scene. If you don't at all like this scene, you probably won't like the rest of the movie too much. It's slow, but only on the surface. This movie builds up atmosphere like no other movie and releases the energy built up by it better than any movie. 


I would appreciate if you would comment and tell me about your favorite opening scenes!

10 comments:

  1. Good list. I'll be a bit clichéd and say that the start to Touch of Evil is definitely up there for me. Also Soy Cuba, Satantango and Persona.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only seen Persona of the ones you mention. The other three is in my watchlist though. Don't know when I'll find the time and strenght to watch Satantango. Doesn't seem to me as if it's the easiest movie to watch. :)

      Delete
    2. Yeah, it took me ages to watch Satantango even though I have it on DVD. One day I just decided I'd get it done, so I made a ton of sandwiches and did the whole thing in one sitting. Well worth it.

      Delete
    3. Wow, that's impressive :) I don't think I'd be able to watch it in one day, but maybe two days could be possible.

      Delete
  2. You totally forgot the nr 1 intro ever which is the one of M.A.S.H, I mean that song those scenes gets me all the time, the rest of the movie is kinda baddie though, anyways any new good (or watchable) movies comming out this summer?.. figured this is the only way of me to ask, since calling is old fashion now.

    cheers, Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well hello Matt. You're right, I cannot believe I forgot about it, I'll have to add it on another list I'm working on.
      Mr. Batman is releasing a new movie this summer where he's supposed to make a huge comeback against the evil forces of Gotham City. Otherwise, no, only bad movies since Edward D. Wood Jr. is no longer active.

      Delete
  3. Best opening scen: Apocalypse Now, watch and see

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen it, but don't remember it too well. I admit I should give that movie another chance.

      Delete
  4. The opening for Once Upon A Time In The West is EPIC! Definitely my favorite western and possibly my favorite movie of all-time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to hear that you agree :) thanks for the comment!

      Delete